8/01/2007

Dreading what to come, or voice!


Nadine & Artillo @ Blacklist

One can wonder if any of the Lindens actually brothered to talk to any of us resident before posting there long defence of the voice feature. First Roleplaying is very little about the time you spend in combat, if you like combat, SL is not the place. There are many good first person shoot out games with voice for that type of action. And the talk about voice changing software sound cool but what year will we have that?

And for us non English speakers, PLEASE GET A GRIP OF REALITY! My English writing is ok, can communicate that way. I often have to go back and read what people say two times, sometimes three to understand it. When talking to my English colleges I'm much more limited in what I can say, this is common for many of my fellow swedes, Talking on phone is much harder, need more questions to make sure we understood what was said. And when you then add background sounds, bad mic and all of that other stuff. It's getting hard just to understand, about half of the DJ's in SL I have problem understanding when they talk at a club. An then they are the only once talking to talking in the mouth of each other. Yes as non-English speaker I will never turn voice on. I only have two friends that understand my native language in SL. For the rest text is much much easier, and when voice comes I probably will see how was real friends. I'm scared my bad English will loose man many good friends that day.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

You won't lose a single friend because not turning your mic on. Not a real friend that is. Don't worry. Voice will come, some residents will use it, some won't. Don't fall on provocations about gender-bending or immersionism or any other that will pop out. This is your world as much as mine as much as anybody else's. A bit more about voice: http://metaverse.acidzen.org/2007/voice-once-again

Nadine Nozaki said...

I so hope you are right, and yes voice will come, it's will not change. I'm mostly irritated on the way I feel like linden labs threat us, that make up arguments for how I will be better off with voice. Already with voice in beta I see problems popping up. Was at a nice place earlier, only talk from gestures and no one noticed me, that understood that is was a voice enabled place. No one there cares about be because is didn't beta test the voice functionality. That made me scared about the future. Now a big defence talk how GREAT this will be for me...

Being able to rez all clothes 50% of the times I log in. A day that I can tp all times with out problems. A day with out the client crashing! That would be great for me.

Anonymous said...

oh, I we are to speak about how Lindens treat the residents... then this is going to be a rather long talk... not just about voice, and not just about grid crashing...